Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Succeed in Your Psychology Program and other Psychology Degree topics.
SQ3R stands for Survey, Question, Read, Recite and Review. Remember this and practice it. It works for most students.
1) To survey, look first at what you need to study.
2) Write down questions before and as you read the material.
3) Read with the intent to answer questions and pay special attention to anything emphasized.
4) To recite means to periodically stop reading and summarize what you've learned, whether you do that aloud, in writing or just in your head.
5) When you're done reading, review what you've learned.
For more on this, Dr. Bob Kilik's article, "Effective Study Skills," and "The SQ3R Reading Method." There are many other sites, books and print articles on learning good study skills too. See a few of them and adopt what works for you.